måndag 17 juni 2013

Ridiculously busy part 3: Bright in Yerushalaim

My dad visited Bar'am thursday, along with my 2 brothers aged 11 and 9.  I showed them around some, then had to sleep since I was exhausted. At night, we all got to the member's club, and most of the girls commented on how cute they were. Windzer commented on how much I look like my dad. I THINK it was meant as a compliment. The day after, we're off towards Jerusalem as soon as I'm off work.

3 hours of driving was actually pretty nice - got to admire the view, and sleep when I didn't do that. And talk, of course. My dad's always so interested in anything I do. Soon enough, we got to Jerusalem, and it took quite a while to find a parking space. And the place we were sleeping at. But it was nice - a good room, with a view of the shuk, or market right outside. Anything even remotely connected to israeli food could be found there. The israeli pastries were awesome as usual. We just walked around there for a while, looking at things. Then we just kept going, down to the Old City.

Holy *********************** we got lucky.

We came on the last day of the Festival of Light, and apparently annual event that none of us knew about. Walking around there for the first time is an experience. When it's full of bright lights and people, even more so. We first stopped by David's Tower, where we didn't see much since it was closed, but then we were swarmed by 13 year olds. One asked where we were from, and when we said Sweden, they just went insane. Everyone wanted a picture with us, even though not all of them spoke good enough english and had someone else ask for them. One conversation my dad told me about later, was between two girls speaking in hebrew right beside me: "That guy is so hot..." "You can't say that! He's standing right there!" "No, it's fine, he doesn't speak hebrew.", and I got a lot of propositions that night, from both guys and girls... It was insane.

We just kept walking after that, and saw all the attractions. It was beautiful, and sadly all we had was dad's camera, so I have no pictures at the moment. Around 11, we'd made our way down to the Western Wall. All of us wrote a note and put it in one of the cracks. I know my wish hasn't come true since the world's still in one piece. Walking back, we got more beautiful views, but even though we could've walked and seen more, we were just so tired, and took the train back to the residence. Slept so well that night.

The day after, we stopped by some of the commotion just outside the Old City. They had a car show there - Formula One, Nascar, a few go-carts... For some reason they were there. One german guy was just insane. Pretty much parkouring on a motorcycle. One wheel was more than enough for him, and it looked awesome. Not quite what we came there for, but it was good nonetheless. After that, more walking around the old town, seeing all the sights in day light instead of the bright lights of yesterday. It was great. Towards the end, we were all tired, but that disappeared the moment I saw the Cardo. It was just stunning, walking along the actual road that people used thousands of years ago, really feeling like a part of the history there - a long market road, pillars on both sides, and I walked where thousands had gone before me.

Then we went back to our room and relaxed again. Went out, had dinner, which was a pain in the ass since it was Shabbath, and it felt like there were maybe a dozen places open within several kilometers. Still, we found an okay one, then went down to the old city again to see if there was anything going on. A mexican girl stopped us and asked if we knew anywhere she might be able to find food. We said sure, she could join us, though we were just looking for a place with coffee. It took a while, but we found a good yemenite place. She was really nice, apparently there for a conference, they'd gathered 150 jewish young people that did something important - political, environmental, etc., to exchange ideas. We had a good time, and now I have someone to show me around Mexico City if I ever visit. :D

The last day, we got up late, drove to Tel Aviv, and were at the beach for an hour or two. Then I tried to get a bus, which was apparently pretty much impossible until 9 in the evening, so dad drove me back to Bar'am. We said goodbye, and they went back south, towards Tel Aviv, and then the Dead Sea. Won't see them again until I'm back in Sweden. But my sister's coming to visit in a week, that'll be awesome. I think she'll fit right in.

Now, I have to sleep, though. Thanks for making your way through all these words! :D You're awesome.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar